Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Ten Questions with Erik Earl Larson

Erik Earl Larson, Baritone
Dancaïre - Carmen

1.  Where were you born? Where were you raised?

I was born in Madison, WI and raised in Evansville, WI.

2.  If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?

I probably would have gone to school for engineering - like my dad. But the older I get, the more I'm interested in law and social justice, so maybe that? 

3.  The first opera I was ever in was…

...the chorus in Madison Opera's The Flying Dutchman in Spring of 2010, my senior year of high school. I ended up doing five shows (I think) with the Madison Opera Chorus, ending my tenure with Dead Man Walking in Spring 2014 - which was also my professional debut as the Motorcycle Cop.

4.  My favorite opera...

...tends to change on a weekly basis, but The Marriage of Figaro is my proverbial ol' faithful. 

5.  My favorite food to cook or eat is…

...chicken fried rice (I'm not a talented cook).

6.  People would be surprised to know…

I have a long-standing tradition of getting pedicures with my sisters. My toes are usually painted a sensible red.

7.  If I could travel anywhere, real or fantasy…

I would most definitely travel to the Water Gardens of Dorne.

8.  I like to binge-watch…

My go-to binge watching show is The Office, but most recently I've been working through Sons of Anarchy.

9.  What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?

This depends on a lot of factors...am I cooking? Are we all cooking together? So many things to consider...BUT, if I had to choose...I would say George London, Carol Burnett (for comic relief), Rick Sanchez (for good spirits), and finally - the love of my life, Bridget. 

10.  Everyone should see Carmen because….

It is honestly one of few absolutely timeless masterpieces. With a beautiful drama displayed in so many - very human ways - it's a perfect example how opera can marry several arts into one union.

11.  Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).

BONUS! WUBBA-LUBBA-DUB-DUB!!

"I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it."





Don't miss the chance to see Erik in Carmen, Bizet's breathtaking opera. Performances are November 3 & November 5 in Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.






No comments: