Friday, October 27, 2017

10 Questions with Cecilia Violetta López

Cecilia Violetta López, Soprano
Micaela - Carmen

1.  Where were you born? Where were you raised? 

I was born and raised in Rupert, Idaho. My parents are both Mexican. I am a first generation Mexican-American.

2.  If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?

As of recently, I told myself it would be really cool to be a news correspondent for NPR and/or own and run a winery.

3.  The first opera I was ever in was…

Gianni Schicchi! I was Nella. 

4.  My favorite opera is…

La Traviata, Madama Butterfly, Boito's Mefistofele, and Rossini's Otello.

5.  My favorite food to cook or eat is…

Chiles Rellenos

6.  People would be surprised to know… 

I am a proud mom, I was a Polynesian dancer, and I started my musical aspirations as a mariachi singer thanks to my mom a LOOOOOOng time ago.

7.  If I could travel anywhere, real or fantasy, I would travel to…

Morocco

8.  I like to binge-watch…

EVERYTHING!!

9.  What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?

Mexican Mariachi Singers, Pedro Infante, Jose Alfredo Jimenez, Lola Beltran and Jorge Negrete. We would have a jamming session.

10.  Everyone should see Carmen because…. 

MICAËLA IS AWESOME AND THE BEST CHARACTER IN THE OPERA. OBVIOUSLY. ;)

11.  Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).

Q: Is opera a hobby?

A: No!!! Someone once told me opera is a hobby. I've made it my personal mission to teach audiences what opera is and what it is we do. There are too many people in our lives who sacrifice so much (including our own sacrifices) in order for us to be where we are. We opera singers work so much, so, again - no, opera is not a hobby.




Don't miss the chance to see Cecilia in Carmen, Bizet's breathtaking opera. Performances are November 3 & November 5 in Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: