Monday, October 16, 2017

Ten Questions with Charles Eaton

Charles Eaton, Baritone

Moralès - Carmen


1.  Where were you born? Where were you raised?

I was born and raised in Storrs, CT.  It's the town that has the University of Connecticut, where my grandparents, parents, and all of my siblings (including myself!) went to college.

2.  If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?

A dream job was always to be a veterinarian, but in retrospect, I'm not sure I'd have the nerves for it (too many sick pups).  

3.  The first opera I was ever in was

I was an eager chorister in Die Fledermaus at the University of Connecticut, before I really knew what opera was all about.

4.  My favorite opera is…

I absolutely love The Crucible by Robert Ward.  I think the music and drama is spectacular.  The Marriage of Figaro is pretty high up on my list as well.

5.  My favorite food to cook or eat is…

I love all things coconut.  I will always choose coconut flavor over all others if given the option.

6.  People would be surprised to know… 


I lived with my parents for my last three years of college...the idea of taking out more loans to live in a dorm seemed silly, and my parents are pretty awesome :).

7.  If I could travel anywhere, real or fantasy, I would travel to…

Hobbiton.  Hands down.

8.  I like to binge-watch…

The Office is my go-to show when trying to fall asleep to something or pass time.  I think I've watched the whole series about 10 times through.

9.  What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?

It'd be incredible to meet the guy I'm named after, who died in World War II.  Other than that, maybe Mahler, my theory professor from grad school (Michael Cherlin, who loves Mahler and taught me so much about his music), and my childhood pup, Marley, who passed last year.  That'd be an interesting meet up...

10.  Everyone should see Carmen because…. 

It's such a fun, dramatic story with an awesome, powerful leading lady, and the music is some of the most recognizable and beautiful there is.

11.  Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer)?

Q: What would be your superpower if you could have just one?
A: Transfiguratiom, like McGonagall!




Don't miss the chance to see Charles in Carmen, Bizet's breathtaking opera. Performances are November 3 & November 5 in Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: