Tuesday, July 19, 2016

In the Park with Emily Birsan

In the Park with...


Emily Birsan
Soprano, Opera in the Park










1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born in Appleton, Wisconsin - the Fox Valley.  I was raised in Appleton, Green Bay, Dubuque, and North Carolina.  I went to middle school and high school in Neenah, Wisconsin, so by majority rules...  I was raised in the Midwest.  :)

2.  What is in your ideal picnic basket?
CHEESE, cheese, and more cheese.  And stuff to put cheese on.  I also love olives, grapes, artichokes, roasted pepper spread, and of course, you can't forget some wine!  I have been into syrah / cabernet blends lately.

3.  My most memorable moment performing outside was...
I had many great moments in Chicago with the Grant Park Symphony, but a favorite of mine was for a Stars of Lyric concert where I was covering a soprano whose flight was delayed.  I sang the Mad Scene from Lucia di Lammermoor with sirens and the sounds of Chicago in the distance!

4.  My favorite outdoor performance I've attended was...
Nina Simone - it was the must fun jazz outdoor vibe I've ever seen.

5.  My favorite summertime activity is...
Camping and hiking with a lake nearby.  I live in the Hudson Valley, New York, area, where there are mountains, streams, and lakes.  My dog Rosie loves to hike and explore the trails with me.  It's a great way to exercise and meditate / enjoy the quiet.

6.  My ideal vacation is....
Bali!!  For the lush forests and beaches.  Rich eastern culture.


Join Emily for Opera in the Park on Saturday, July 23 at 8pm in Garner Park.  FREE admission; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: