Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Ten Questions with Matthew Scollin

Ten Questions with
Matthew Scollin, bass-baritone
The Speaker in The Magic Flute





1.  Where were you born / raised? 
Proud Michigander! Born in Royal Oak, MI; raised in Walled Lake, MI.

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
Linguist/Language Teacher.

3.  The first opera I was ever in was...
Florencia en el Amazonas by Daniel Catán.

4.  My favorite opera is...
Le Nozze di Figaro.

5.  My favorite post-show meal is...
Nothing like a post-show frozen pizza.

6.  People would be surprised to know that...
At 6'5", I am the second shortest male on my dad's side of the family.

7.  The musical instrument that I wish I could play is ...
The banjo.

8.  I like to binge-watch...
All three Lord of the Rings extended editions.

9.  What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?
My wife Sarah, C.S. Lewis, Martin Luther, George Washington.

10.  Everyone should see The Magic Flute because....
It has some of the most hunmable melodies in all of opera!

Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
Q:  What is your favorite college team? 
A:  Michigan State Spartans!  Go Green! 


Don't miss the chance to see Matthew in The Magic Flute, Mozart's sublime opera that is part fairy-tale, part adventure story, and all enchantment.  Performances are April 21 and 23 in Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: