Monday, January 23, 2017

Ten Questions with Angela Mortellaro


Ten Questions with
Angela Mortellaro, soprano
Doris Parker in Charlie Parker's Yardbird






1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I'm from Wisconsin! I was born in Waukesha and went to high school in Brookfield. I've lived in Texas, Florida, Minnesota, and now I live in Chicago. 

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
I must be in the arts in some capacity. It is my passion. Music, dance, art, on the stage or behind the scenes ... I must be involved!

3.  The first opera I was ever in was...
My first full production of an opera was Britten's The Turn of the Screw. I loved it. 

4.  My favorite opera is...
It is very difficult to pick because every opera offers something unique and wonderful. That's one of my favorite things about opera - the variety in music, scope, style, and voices ... But I do have a special place in my heart for Massenet operas, and for La Traviata. 

5.  My favorite pre-show / post-show meal is...
People think I'm crazy, but I don't eat before a show and I sing my best on a mostly empty stomach. I have a normal meal around 2 pm and after the show I enjoy a big meal. Probably Italian-style pizza with olio piccante and wine. 

6.  People would be surprised to know that...
I'm an introvert! I am an out-going, stage-loving person who needs a lot of quiet and alone time. 

7.  A few of my favorite books are...
Let the Great World Spin, Jane Eyre, and I'm about to read The Goldfinch. 

8.  I like to binge-watch...
I recently binged watched Game of Thrones, I Medici, and a bunch of science documentaries. 

9.  What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?
Frida Kahlo, Meryl Streep, Ellen DeGeneres, and the Dalai Lama. 

10.  Everyone should see Charlie Parker's Yardbird because....
It has exciting music and great singing. It is an awesome show.


Don't miss the chance to see Angela in Charlie Parker's Yardbirdthe Midwest premiere of this acclaimed new opera about the legendary saxophone player.  Performances are February 10 and 12 in the Capitol Theater.  Tickets start at $25; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: