Emily Fons, mezzo
Rosina in The Barber of Seville
1. Where were you born / raised?
I was born in Milwaukee and raised in the Bay View neighborhood of Milwaukee.
2. If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
I would work with animals in some way, maybe with wildlife rehabilitation or in an animal shelter.
3. My favorite opera is...
Hansel and Gretel.
4. My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
Pre - something filling like a veggie burrito or a big salad with beans and quinoa and avocado.
Post - something terrible like French fries and ice cream. :)
5. People would be surprised to know that...
I've been a vegetarian for almost 14 years.
6. What is your favorite song to belt out at karaoke?
Probably some Céline Dion or something. :)
7. What is your pop culture guilty pleasure?
Probably my Instagram account. I love taking selfies with my dog.
8. A few of my favorite films are...
Death at a Funeral, Noises Off, Clueless, Bridget Jones' Diary, Office Space, Star Wars 4-6, Home Alone, Jurassic Park, Babe the Gallant Pig. I don't aspire to any great artistic knowledge of film, as you can see.
9. If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists/songs would we see on your recently-played list?
The only things I really listen to on my ipod are things that I'm working on, so you'd find a lot of opera.
10. What is the best costume you've ever worn?
In Laurent Pelly's production of La Traviata at Santa Fe Opera.
Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q: Could you please tell us about your dog?
A: I could talk about her until your ears fall off. I rescued her when I was an apprentice in Santa Fe, have had her for 5 1/2 years, and she is my best friend.
Don't miss the chance to see Emily in The Barber of Seville, a classic operatic comedy! Performances are April 24 and 26 in Overture Hall. Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.