Monday, April 22, 2013

Ten Questions with Matt Boehler

Ten Questions with...






Matt Boehler, bass
Leporello in Don Giovanni









1
. My favorite thing about being a singer is:
Getting to make something new every time we step out there.
 
2. The greatest challenge in being a singer is:
Dealing with a cape. Especially when there is a sword involved. One could devote a whole semester of study to this in conservatory.

3. A live music performance I’ve attended that I will never forget is:Seeing Annie on Broadway when I was very young. We visited my Nana in Jersey, and she took me to see it. Apparently I stood up and started flapping my arms, imitating the conductor. Nana tried to get me to sit, and a woman behind her said, "Looks like you've got a musician on your hands."

4. A few of my favorite films are:
Airplane!, Clue, North by Northwest, Critters 2 (it's much more fun than the first installment).

5. Three things I can’t live without are: 
Oxygen, water, food in that order.

6. My number one hobby is: 
Reading.

7. If you could perform with any singer, retired or deceased, who would it be?
Carol Channing.

8. If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in? 
Trust me: if I knew, I'd have done it already.

9. What role do you wish you could sing that you could never sing because it’s the wrong voice type/gender?
Tossup. I'd either sing Violetta and turn out a totally fierce Sempre libera, or sing a totally disgusting Herod in Salome and chew all the available scenery.

10. Describe your favorite moment on stage.
That moment after the curtain drops, and you're all backstage right before the bows, kind of stunned that everyone made it through all that.

See Matt in Madison Opera's production of Mozart's Don Giovanni April 26 & 28 in Overture Hall. Tickets start at just $18
why wait?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen Matt in a few operas here in the Twin Cities - wish I could see him as Leporello!!

Anonymous said...

Michael Evans and I, over at DUMBO, are looking forward to Matt making his New York City debut this season as well!.