Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Ten Questions with Sidney Outlaw


Ten Questions with
Sidney Outlaw, baritone
Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet






1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born and raised in Brevard, North Carolina.

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
I've never thought about not making it as a singer.  It's what I was born to do.  I will always be singing in some capacity.  But if I didn't sing full time, I would definitely go into music education, arts administration, or artist management.

3.  The first opera I was ever in was...
Aida at Bob Jones University, November 11, 1998.  (Mrs. Shumate's Concert Chorus class).

4.  My favorite opera is...
Le Nozze di Figaro.

5.  My favorite pre-show / post-show meal is...
Pre-show:  Pure Pharma protein shake.
Post-show:  Some sort of red meat and veggie.


6.  People would be surprised to know that...
I practice Olympic weightlifting. 

7.  A few of my favorite books are...
The Audacity of Hope (President Obama); Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome (Dr. Joy DeGruy); The New Jim Crow (Michelle Alexander); Sula (Toni Morrison); I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou); Things Fall Apart (Chinua Achebe); For Your Consideration.... (Kathy Griffin).

8.  What do you like to binge-watch?
Criminal Minds, NCIS, NCIS-LA, Madame Secretary.

9.  What five people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?
President Obama, Jennifer Lewis, Roland Martin, Leontyne Price, Viola Davis.

10.  Everyone should see Romeo and Juliet because....
It is a timeless story and the singing in this particular production is fantastic, which will make you think of the good old days at the Met.

Bonus:  One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q:  Would you like to make your debut as Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet at the San Francisco Opera and/or the Metropolitan Opera (and here is the contract already drawn up with all the signatures on it)?
A:  YES, PLEASE and THANK YOU!!!

Don't miss the chance to see Sidney in Romeo and Juliet, as Shakespeare's classic work comes to ravishing operatic life.  Performances are November 4 and 6 in Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: