Sunday, October 16, 2016

Ten Questions with Benjamin Sieverding

Ten Questions with
Benjamin Sieverding, bass
Duke of Verona in Romeo and Juliet





1.  Where were you born / raised? 
I was born and raised in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
I'd love to be a casting agent of some sort.

3.  The first opera I was ever in was...
Amahl and the Night Visitors.

4.  My favorite opera is...
Bluebeard's Castle.  Or Salome.

5.  My favorite pre-show / post-show meal is...
Pre-show, I like bacon and eggs; something with lots of protein.  Post-show, I like a burger or NACHOS.

6.  People would be surprised to know that...
I sang first soprano in church choir with my mother until I was 14. 

7.  A few of my favorite books are...
As a huge fantasy nerd, I love A Song of Ice and Fire, Lord of the Rings, and The Chronicles of Narnia.  But I also love the classics, especially The Age of Innocence and Pride and Prejudice.

8.  What do you like to binge-watch?
30 Rock, Departures, and TOP CHEF!

9.  What four people (living or deceased) would you like to invite for a dinner party?
Pope Francis, Maya Rudolph, Christopher Lee, C.S. Lewis.

10.  Everyone should see Romeo and Juliet because....
There are so many great one-liners that we frequently reference in our culture without even realizing it.

Bonus:  One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q:  Which moment of your life would you like to relive over and over again?
A:  The night my wife and I got engaged on a river cruise in Paris.

Don't miss the chance to see Benjamin in Romeo and Juliet, as Shakespeare's classic work comes to ravishing operatic life.  Performances are November 4 and 6 in Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: