Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Ten Questions with Ryan Kuster

Ten Questions with...




Ryan Kuster, bass-baritone
Angelotti in Tosca




1. My favorite thing about being a singer is:
the collaboration between everyone that is involved during the rehearsal process. I love exploring the character through the exchange of musical and dramatic ideas.

2. The greatest challenge in being a singer is: 
managing my time in between gigs.

3. A live music performance I’ve attended that I will never forget is:
The dress rehearsal and then final performance of Susan Graham’s Octavian in
Der Rosenkavalier

4. A few of my favorite films are: 
The Princess Bride, Kenneth Branagh’s Henry V, (it’s not a movie, but) House of Cards.

5. Three things I can’t live without are:
My travel pillow, my headphones and my favorite book.


6. My number one hobby is:
Self-improvement.

7. If you could perform with any singer, retired or deceased, who would it be?
I would love to perform with Jose Van Dam.

8. If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
I really don’t know. Probably something where I was doing service for others.


9. What role do you wish you could sing that you could never sing because it’s the wrong voice type/gender?
I like my roles. :)

10. Describe your favorite moment on stage. 
My favorite moment wasn’t on stage. It was outside and involved a horsefly and me ending up bleeding while I was performing. Ask me about it sometime. ;)

See Ryan in Madison Opera's production of Puccini's Tosca November 1 & 3 in Overture Hall. Tickets start at just $18why wait?

No comments: