Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Ten Questions with Kenneth Stavert

Ten Questions with...






Kenneth Stavert, baritone
Sciarrone in Tosca




1. My favorite thing about being a singer is:
Getting to travel all around the world

2. The greatest challenge in being a singer is: 
Constantly adjusting to new living spaces.

3. A live music performance I’ve attended that I will never forget is:
Seeing my first opera when I was in high school, at Opera Pacific. It was Dead Man Walking with Maestro DeMain conducting, John Packard and Frederica von Stade. It confirmed for me that I wanted to be an opera singer.

4. A few of my favorite films are: 
Serenity, V for Vendetta, and Star Wars (I'm a Sci-fi nerd).

5. Three things I can’t live without are:My phone, my computer and my travel steamer.

6. My number one hobby is:
Surfing.

7. If you could perform with any singer, retired or deceased, who would it be?
Sherill Milnes or Ettore Bastianini.

8. If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
Probably a personal trainer.

9. What role do you wish you could sing that you could never sing because it’s the wrong voice type/gender?
Tonio in The Daughter of the Regiment (only so that I could sing Ah mes amis).

10. Describe your favorite moment on stage. 
My favorite moment was probably the first time I sang Figaro in The Barber of Seville. They added in a confetti cannon without me knowing at the very end of the show. When it went off it was so loud that I jumped really big and had about 3 seconds where I had no idea what had happened. My look of confusion was I'm sure quite apparent but thankfully the curtain was on the way in. The only time I've broken character in opera...even if it was only for a few seconds. It taught me to expect anything.

Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
What is the scariest part of singing in opera? 

Absolutely the first musical rehearsal. It's when you prove you are ready and that no mistake was made in casting.

See Kenneth in Madison Opera's production of Puccini's Tosca November 1 & 3 in Overture Hall. Tickets start at just $18why wait?

No comments: