Sunday, April 22, 2018

10 Questions with Elizabeth Caballero

Elizabeth Caballero 
Florencia Grimaldi in Florencia en el Amazonas 


1.  Where were you born and raised?
I was born in Havana, Cuba and came to the USA in the 1980 Mariel Boatlift as a child with my family. I grew up in Miami, Florida.

2.  If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
Probably something involved with animals. 

3.  The first opera I was ever in was…
Gosh, I don't remember. I want to say Trouble in Tahiti

4.  My favorite opera is…
Usually the one I'm singing at the moment. 

5.  My favorite food to cook or eat is…
Recently I've gotten really good at making Chicken Francese. My favorite food to eat is pizza. 

6.  People would be surprised to know…
I didn't discover opera until college. 

7.  If I could cruise down any river in the world, it would be ... 
Probably the Rhine River.

8.  I like to binge-watch…
Game of Thrones. 

9.  What four people would you like to invite for a dinner party?
Puccini, Beethoven, Wagner, Van Gogh.

10.  Everyone should see Florencia en el Amazonas because…. 
Florencia is a beautiful opera about love found and lost. It's set to a beautiful, lush musical score that feels like you're watching a movie.

11. Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
Q: What's another thing people would be surprised to know about you?
A: My grandmother played in the women’s national baseball and basketball teams of Cuba in the 1940’s.



Don't miss the chance to see Elizabeth in the Madison Opera premiere of the beautiful Florencia en el Amazonas. Performances are April 27 and April 29 in Overture Hall.  Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: