Jared Rogers, tenor
The Servants, The Tales of Hoffmann
1. Where were you born / raised?
Carthage, Illinois, but my dad was in the Service, so, everywhere.
2. If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
Race car driver, Formula One.
3. The first opera I was ever in was...
The Pirates of Penzance.
4. My favorite opera is...
5. My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
Pre-show: light snack.
Post-show: big steak.
6. People would be surprised to know that...
I did not study music in college; my majors were history, philosophy, and religion.
7. A few of my favorite books are...
Guns, Germs, and Steel; The Pillars of the Earth; Blink; and Harry Potter. :)
8. If we were to turn on your ipod / music listening device right now, what five artists / songs would we see on you recently-played list?
Jon Vickers, Fritz Wunderlich, Alfredo Kraus, Bryn Terfel, and Maria Callas.
9. What is the worst costume you've ever worn? Or if no such costume, what was the best costume?
The worst was a winged helmet, a silver skirt, and rollerblades. The best was a custom-made grey suit. It fit so well, they let me keep it!
10. Everyone should see The Tales of Hoffmann because....
It is very funny, even without the supertitles, and it has so many beautiful musical moments as well.
Don't miss the chance to see Jared in The Tales of Hoffmann, an extraordinary work that is equal parts fantasy, realism, and genuine passion. Performances are April 15 and 17 in Overture Hall. Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more information.