Thursday, February 4, 2016

Ten Questions with Laura Muller

Ten Questions With...

Laura Muller, mezzo-soprano
QuartetLittle Women




1.  Where were you born / raised? 
Cuba City, Wisconsin.

2.  If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
If being a singer in a rock band still counts, then I'd do that.  If I can't sing at all, then I'd be an astronaut (seriously).

3.  The first opera I was ever in was...
I played the role of the Secretary in Menotti's The Consul my freshman year of college.  Definitely a memorable experience.

4.  My favorite opera is...
The ones that are the darkest and most disturbing.  Salome is a good one - it doesn't get much better than a chick making out with a dead dude's severed head.

5.  My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
My favorite pre-show meal is ice cream.  My favorite post-show meal is ice cream.  Always ice cream.

6.  People would be surprised to know that...
I will be a licensed massage therapist in May 2016.

7.  My favorite book to read growing up was...
Polgara the Sorceress by David and Leigh Eddings.  Yes, I was / am a fantasy geek.

8.  If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists / songs would we see on you recently-played list?
Quiet Dog - Mos Def; Could I Be - Sylvan Esso; Ideal Husband - Father John Misty; Sister - She Wants Revenge; Suck My Kiss - Red Hot Chili Peppers.

9.  What is the worst costume you've ever worn?
Probably the itchy, bright-orange 70s-era polyester shift dress I had to wear for a production of Gianni Schicchi.  I think my whole body broke out in a rash.

10.  Everyone should see Little Women because....
It tells a wonderful story that is near and dear to my heart.  (Jo March was totally my idol as a kid.)

Bonus:  One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q:  Wanna go to a dance party?
A:  Heck yeah.

Don't miss the chance to see Laura in Little Women, as this beloved American classic comes to vivid musical life!  Performances are February 5 and 7 in the Capitol Theater.  Tickets start at $25; visit madisonopera.org for more information.

No comments: