Ten Questions With...
Clay Hilley, tenor
Florestan in Fidelio
1. Where were you born / raised?
Born in Athens, Georgia, and raised in a small town near there - Statham, Georgia.
2. If you weren't a singer, what profession would you be in?
3. My favorite opera is...
4. My favorite pre/post-show meal is...
Steak and potatoes - but that's not unique to a show. ;)
5. People would be surprised to know that...
I am the oldest sibling of four. Because of my maturity level, most people assume I'm the baby.
6. What is your favorite song to belt out at the bar / in the car /for karaoke?
I loathe karaoke. The only thing I belt are corny jokes.
7. What is your pop culture guilty pleasure?
American Horror Story. All horror stories. 80s and 90s slasher films.
8. A few of my favorite films are...
Return of the King. Many horror movies.
9. If we were to turn on your ipod right now, what five artists/songs would we see on your recently-played list?
10. What is the worst costume you've ever worn?
There are many, but one comes to mind. While playing King Kaspar in Amahl and the Night Visitors, I was dressed in a VERY heavy (and VERY HOT) costume. It was so hot that I made a choice to forgo any sort of undergarment (as no one in the audience would ever be able to notice). During the performance, I noticed an air-conditioning vent in the stage floor (we were performing in a church chancel), and "altered my blocking" such that I ended up hovering over said vent, enjoying the pleasantly-cooling streams of air while actively engaged in performing.
11. Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer):
Q: Would you like to have my UGA Bulldogs season tickets?
Don't miss the chance to see Clay in Fidelio,
Beethoven's only opera! Performances are November 21 and 23 at
Overture Hall. Tickets start at $18; visit madisonopera.org for more