Monday, April 21, 2014

Ten Questions with Jamie Van Eyck

Ten Questions with...







Jamie Van Eyck, mezzo-soprano
Jade Boucher in Dead Man Walking










1. My favorite thing about being a singer is:
Having the opportunity to tell a story and communicate with an audience.

2. The greatest challenge in being a singer is: 
Managing the demanding schedule.

3. A live music performance I’ve attended that I will never forget is:

The Austin City Limits Festival, last year.

4. A few of my favorite films are: 
Life is Beautiful. 12 Years a Slave.

5. Three things I can’t live without are: 
As a singer: humidifier, neti pot, and lime mineral water.

6. My number one hobby is: 
Traveling.

7. If you could perform with any singer, retired or deceased, who would it be?
Leontyne Price!

8. If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
I might work in marketing or advertising.

9. What role do you wish you could sing that you could never sing because it’s the wrong voice type/gender?
Scarpia.

10. Describe your favorite moment on stage. 
Any moment during a performance where I feel connected with my colleagues, and everyone is relaxed and energized.
 

Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
The question - "Can I buy you a new car?" 
My answer - "Of course, thanks!"


See Jamie in Madison Opera's production of Jake Heggie's Dead Man Walking April 25 and 27 at Overture Hall. Tickets start at just $18!

No comments: