Thursday, February 6, 2014

Ten Questions with Nathan Stark

Ten Questions with...







Nathan Stark, bass
Sulpice in The Daughter of the Regiment





1. My favorite thing about being a singer is:
Having the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people and work with incredible talents everywhere I go. 

2. The greatest challenge in being a singer is: 
Trying to stay healthy during the frigid cold/flu season, busy travel months, bouncing around from different cities, time zones, and weather climates. Being able to perform and sing well is based heavily on our physical health, so I'm always trying to be conscious of that. Also, being away from home, spouses and loved ones for long durations of time is always tough.

3. A live music performance I’ve attended that I will never forget is:
I recently attended the Marilyn Horne 80th Birthday Gala at Carnegie Hall in New York City. Some of opera's biggest stars came out to perform and honor her: Frederica von Stade, Samuel Ramey, Renee Fleming, David Daniels and others. It was truly a special event, and exciting to see so many legends in our business under one roof.

4. A few of my favorite films are: 
The Princess Bride, Star Wars (the original trilogy), Glory, The Lord of the Rings (all 3 films), The Devil Wears Prada, and The Legends of the Fall.

5. Three things I can’t live without are: 
The performing arts, my cell phone, and fried chicken.

6. My number one hobby is:
Cooking! There is nothing more therapeutic for me than cooking in my own kitchen... with a bottle of my favorite wine nearby. :-)


7. If you could perform with any singer, retired or deceased, who would it be?
It would be a toss-up between Lady Gaga and Dolly Parton. Classically, I would have loved to have done a show with Marilyn Horne in her prime.

8. If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
I'd probably have gone on to culinary school and become a chef... or something to do with food.

9. What role do you wish you could sing that you could never sing because it’s the wrong voice type/gender?
I'd love to sing the title role in Carmen.

10. Describe your favorite moment on stage. 
I recently made my mainstage debut at the Metropolitan Opera this Fall as the one-armed brother in Die Frau ohne Schatten. That opening night, as of right now, has been my favorite moment onstage. My family & friends from all over the world came to New York City to support me. It is something I'll remember the rest of my life. 

Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
What have you enjoyed most about being in Madison, WI?
 

The people, the fried cheese curds, and the beer-cheese soup!

See Nathan in Madison Opera's production of Donizetti's The Daughter of the Regiment (La Fille du R
égiment) February 7 & 9 in the Capitol Theater at Overture Center. Tickets start at just $25.

No comments: