Friday, January 4, 2013

Ten Questions with Jennifer DeMain

Ten Questions with...






Jennifer DeMain,
mezzo-soprano

Ensemble
in Acis and Galatea










1. My favorite thing about being a singer is: 
The challenge that each piece brings stylistically and the opportunity to deliver text that may have been written hundreds of years ago, but still hold meaning today. 

2. The greatest challenge in being a singer is:
Auditioning.

3. A live music performance I’ve attended that I will never forget is:
When I saw the band Coldplay at Alpine Valley, Chris Martin was standing 3 feet away from me playing my favorite song in the world!

4. A few of my favorite films are:
Catch Me if You Can, Titanic, The Other Guys, Giant, When Harry Met Sally.

5. Three things I can’t live without are:
My bike, my iPhone, and chocolate.

6. My number one hobby is:
Weightlifting.

7. If you could perform with any singer, retired or deceased, who would it be?
I would perform with Maria Callas or Ethel Merman.

8. If you weren’t a singer, what profession would you be in?
I'd be a personal trainer.

9. What role do you wish you could sing that you could never sing because it’s the wrong voice type/gender?
Madama Butterfly, Leporello, or Escamillo.

10. Describe your favorite moment on stage.
I was in a play where we had to recite lines from Shakespeare backwards, when the lights went out and I realized I'd said everything in the correct backwards order, that was my favorite moment.

Bonus: One question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer).
How many operas have you seen?

And though I can't quantify it, to put it in perspective, I once saw 21 performances of the same production.


See Jennifer in Madison Opera's production of Handel's Acis and Galatea January 10-13 in The Playhouse at Overture Center. Tickets start at just $20, but they're going fast!

No comments: